We celebrate 150 years of packaging printing in Crimmitschau
150 years ago, Etzold & Kießling was founded in Crimmitschau in 1867.
And thus the beginnings of our present location in Crimmitschau. We can proudly look back on 150 years of print history, where packaging has always had a special focus.
In the first time of the company, production initially comprised graphic products such as postcards, calendars, posters and brochures. Later came also packaging of paper and cardboard. In 1897, the company was transformed into a joint stock company and henceforth it was called Kunstanstalt Etzold & Kießling A.-G. Over the years, the company has earned a good reputation in the field of flat printing in Germany.
In the 20th century the demand for packaging by the industrial development increased rapidly and therefore the packaging printing within the company gained a lot of importance.
In the years after 1945, the company was continued on in the then Soviet occupation zone and later in the GDR as a stock corporation, a limited partnership, and a semi-state enterprise, and was increasingly directed to exclusive packaging production under state influence. Within the scope of this development, the printing technology has been converted to modern offset printing. In 1972, in the course of a large-scale nationalization wave in the former GDR, the forced state was brought to the VEB Verpackungsmittelwerk Crimmitschau.
After the political change in the GDR, the company was set under the administration of the Treuhand-Anstalt in July 1990, and since 1991 it has been named masterpack Crimmitschau GmbH. In the course of the dissolution of GDR structures and the associated reprivatisation, the Treuhandanstalt sold the company in 1992 to the Austrian WALL Group, one of the major packaging printing companies in Austria. In the years 2001 to 2004 the WALL Group comes into the ownership of the US paper company Westvaco and later MeadWestvaco.
In 2004, Mr. Jens Mugler, who already manages the printing company Mugler Druck GmbH in Hohenstein-Ernstthal, bought the masterpack Crimmitschau GmbH from MeadWestvaco. In addition to promotional and business printing, Mugler Druck is increasingly active in packaging printing, so the specialization has been further advanced with the new location. Since 2004, the Crimmitschau site has been characterized by intensive investment activity, creating the conditions for a modern and competitive production and thus for a stable future of the site. Since 2010, the plant has been named Mugler Masterpack Crimmitschau GmbH as an integral part of the Mugler Group.
Today, with more than 100 employees at the Crimmitschau site, we produce high-quality cardboard packaging worth around EUR 20 million a year. The main focus of the production there is on packaging for the food industry, for many well-known German and international brands, which can be found in almost all supermarkets in Germany.
On 8 September 2017 an article appeared in Blickpunkt Crimmitschau 17/2017.
Read the article
Blickpunkt Crimmitschau, issue 17/2017, www.blickpunkt-crimmitschau.de